This article covers:
- Accessing the Scope Change entity;
- Standard Configuration;
- Customising the Scope Change entity;
- Scope Change Approvals;
- Scope Change Reporting.
Whenever a situation arises where the project scope, costs and/or time-line will be affected, a scope change needs to be raised in order to amend the project baseline.
The Scope Change entity can be accessed when you hover over the Projects Menu or from the Project View page. If you do not see the Scope Change entity, make sure that the entity has been enabled on your instance and that your user group has been granted access to the entity.
For more information about setting up user group access rights, read the following knowledge base article.
The default Scope Change entity shows the following fields.
The entity allows users to:
- Add a name and description for the scope change, placing the scope change in context.
- The Reason for Change field indicates why the scope change was logged.
- The Scope Change entity also allows for capturing a loaded by and requested by person, respectively, as well as the date on which it was requested.
- In terms of the impact a scope change will have on the project, users can capture the impact on cost, time and / or scope of the project.
- The scope change can also be sent for approval using the Individual Scope Change Report (for more information, see the related section later in this article). If approved by all the relevant parties, the scope change can be shown as Approved or Declined in the Approval Status field, also indicating the approval date.
Should you wish to configure the Scope Change entity to align to your own methodology, access the following knowledge base article which will guide you through the process of adding or updating existing data fields.
Scope changes can be sent for approval by setting up the automated approval functionality in PPO. By setting up the approvals functionality, an approval record can be created in PPO and sent for approval to the relevant parties. When approved, this can automatically update the approval information.
For more details on setting up approvals, access the following knowledge base article.
The Scope Change reports available in PPO will assist the executives and project managers to track any Scope Changes. They are:
- Scope Change Detail Report - the report shows a data dump of all the data fields available on the Scope Changes entity. It is only available in a datasheet view.
- Scope Change Summary Report - the report shows a list of all the current scope changes that have been captured on the respective projects.
- Individual Scope Change Report - the report shows all the fields on the Scope Change entity, as well as an approvals section, where the respective stakeholders can provide sign off on the scope change.
For more information on the report explanations access the following knowledge base article.