This article covers:
- Client / contact information
- Planning settings
- Time entry settings
- Other settings
- Home page settings
- Security settings
- Technical settings
The System Configuration settings provides control over some core functions of PPO. The System Configuration is typically set up and configured during implementation and should be stable post implementation.
The System Configuration can be accessed from the Administration page.
The client / contact information section contains three pieces of information: Client name, Project office e-mail address and Billing e-mail address.
The Client name is displayed in the browser tab and can be changed by the PPO Administrator as required.
The Project office e-mail address is used in PPO's e-mail events module. For more information on e-mail events, please see the following knowledge base article.
The Billing e-mail address is the e-mail address that all monthly subscription invoices will be sent to.
PPO uses the number of standard hours in resource planning calculations. For more information on the planning functionality, see the following knowledge base item.
The following information is captured under the Time Entry Settings: Allow approvals on time entries; Allow timesheet to be linked to other activity; Default billable value and Entities visible on time entries page.
The 1st setting allows users to send their time entries for approval. When this setting is set to ON, the Approval Request check box and Approval Status column, will appear on the page.
For more information on Time Entry Approvals, please see the following knowledge base article.
The 2nd setting allows users to record time against an activity called "Other". This means the time entry does not relate to a Task, Issue or Risk but to another activity that was performed on the project.
When this setting is set to ON, the Add Other option will be available on the page.
When this setting is set to OFF, the Add Other option will no longer be available on the Time Entry >> Maintenance page.
The 3rd setting shows the global default for the billable field. The system administrator can specify whether the default option for all time entries should be billable (checked / true) or non-billable (un-checked / false).
Users also have the option of setting a user preference, which overrides this global default. For more information on user preferences, see the following knowledge base article.
The 4th setting shows a list of entities that can be visible within the time entries maintenance page. This enables the user to book time entry records to other project entities and not only to Tasks, Issues or Risks.
The 5th setting shows a list of time entry fields that can be removed from the time entries maintenance page. Note that the Billable field can only be removed if the field is a calculated field.
Once the Activity field has been removed the page will display as follows:
Should you wish to remove the "Activity" and the "Billable" columns, simply log a support call and the PPO support team will glad assist you.
Other settings include: Default priority for "Admin" projects; Default skin; Default dashboard comments; Default health indicators; Document check in / out; Task import fields; and Currency Symbol.
- Default priority for "Admin" projects. PPO allows clients to set a default priority value for admin projects which allows users to easily filter administrative projects out of their reports and dashboards. The admin priority is set to 999 by default. When a project is selected as an admin project (Admin field on the project entity is TRUE) the Priority fields on the Projects entity will automatically update with the default priority, as set up in this section of the System Configuration.
- Default skin. You can either select the Default skin, one of the other standard skins listed or define a custom skin. For more information on how to create your own custom skin, refer to this Knowledge Base article. Note that the skin that is selected will be the default skin for all users. Users that have selected a different skin can revert to the instance default by selecting the "…Global Default…"
- Default dashboard comments and health indicators. Note that these settings have been deprecated so you may not see them on your instance. For more information on how to configure your default dashboard comments and health indicators, refer to this FAQ.
- Document check in / out. With multiple users having access to edit documents, the possibility arises that two users will edit the same document at the same time. In this case neither user will know that another user is also in the process of editing the document. To prevent this situation, PPO allows for a document check in / check out mechanism.
If the Document check in / out option is set to ON, the user will be asked to check the document out before the document can be edited.
When a document has been checked out by another user the document will still be available to other users to download, but the user will be asked to check the document back in before it can be edited.
When the Document check in / out setting is changed to OFF, all users will be able to edit documents without having to check the document out or in first.
- Task Import fields. This field is used to map custom fields between MSP and PPO for use during the Import Tasks Wizard (to import task information from MSP into PPO). Fields are mapped by providing the PPO Field Name and the MSP field name, with the word "task" appended to the MSP field name.
An example is mapping the Task Responsibility field in PPO to the Resource Phonetics field in MSP, which would be done as follows:
The mapped section must be concluded with a semi-colon.
- Currency Symbol. The default currency symbol setting can be changed by specifying a new currency symbol in this field.
This can be set to any currency symbol and will apply to all currency fields on the instance.
The purpose of the Home Page is to show each user a summary of their current and relevant items. PPO shows the Tasks, Issues and Risks entities on the Home Page by default, but often it will be required to bring another entity, such as Projects, Benefits, Decisions, Leads or Health Indicators to the user's attention when they log in.
This will create greater visibility as well as provide the users with easy access to the items that need their attention most.
Entities that appear on the PPO Home Page can be defined by the System Administrator from the Administration menu item.
To change the entities that appear on the PPO home page, select the entities from the Home Page Settings section.
Note: the entities will appear on the Home Page in alphabetical order.
Also note that when additional entities are added to the Home Page it's recommended that the administrator creates a shared filter to ensure that users only see items that are applicable to them. For more information on setting up filters, see the following knowledge base article.
Security settings relate mainly to passwords and log in settings.
- Minimum password length. This is the minimum required length allowed for a user's password. If the user selects a password shorter than the length specified here, they will be asked to submit a new password. If this field is set to zero, the password can be any length.
- Must include numeric characters. This field indicates whether the users' passwords must contain numbers.
- Must include alphabet characters. This field indicates whether the users' passwords must contain alphabet characters.
- Must include special characters. This field indicates whether the users' passwords must contain special characters.
- Maximum number of logon attempts. PPO can lock a user's account if they have tried to log on unsuccessfully for a specified number of times. If this field is set to zero, the user can try to log on for an infinite number of tries and never be locked down.
- Password expiry days. This field indicates the number of days after which the users' passwords will expire. When a password has expired, the user will be asked to reset their password when they log in. If this field is set to 0, the users' passwords will never expire.
- Minimum number of days between password changes. This field indicates the minimum number of days between password changes. If this field is set to three, it means the user will have to wait three days after resetting their password before they will be allowed to reset it again. If this field is set to zero, the users can change their passwords as often as they prefer.
- Password history. This field indicates whether the user may use the same password more than once. If the password history is set to three, the user's password must be unique for three password changes before the user can use a previous password again. If this field is set to zero, the user can use the same password continuously.
Technical settings include: Life Cycle start up SVG file; and Disable email events.
- Life Cycle start up SVG file. This is the landing page for the life cycle component of PPO. For more information on the Life Cycle, see the following knowledge base article.
- Disable e-mail events. PPO sends out e-mail notifications to keep users up to date with changes made to PPO. The e-mail events for an instance can be disabled (when this field is set to ON) which will result in no e-mail notifications being sent out. For more information on e-mail events, see the following knowledge base article.
- Send e-mails to non-users. This setting will only be seen by the key client contact and will allow for e-mail notifications to be sent to persons who are not users on PPO (i.e. persons who are only loaded as employees). For details on this setting, its implications and consequences, as well as the process to activate this functionality, see the following FAQ.