Often, clients want a PPO report or dashboard to be e-mailed to them automatically, on a scheduled basis. PPO caters for this requirement through its Report Mailer functionality, allowing any PPO report or dashboard (standard or custom) to be sent out on a scheduled basis, via e-mail. The recipients of these e-mails are defined on a user-basis, and special custom filters can be applied to the report, as deemed necessary.
Note: To enforce PPO's security model, e-mailed reports are only sent to resources who have an Active user account on PPO. All e-mail events, including report mailers, adhere to PPO's user group access settings, ensuring that no unauthorised information can be accessed via e-mail.
How do I go about setting this up?
Currently, automated report mailing cannot be set up by a PPO Administrator. If you would like to have reports mailed automatically, you should raise a support call, supplying all the necessary information, after which the PPO Support Team will then set up the report mailer on your behalf.
Report mailers can only send reports that exist on PPO and that are actively being used. If there is a requirement to send a report that does not exist on PPO, this report should first be specified, developed and deployed before it can be automated. It should be noted that the development and implementation is not covered by the standard PPO Subscription Agreement and will therefore be quoted and charged for separately based on the complexity of the report / dashboard.
The following information should be included in the support call:
- The exact Report or Dashboard name (eg. Issues Report or Issues Dashboard)
- Schedule Type: (eg. weekly / monthly)
- Days: Enter the days on which the report mailer must be sent (e.g Monday and Friday for weekly reports and the 1st and 31st of each month, for monthly reports)
- Attachment Type: The report can either be attached as a PDF or a datasheet (Excel data dump), depending on the specific report.
- Recipients: When selecting the recipients for the report mailer a custom employee filter and/or one or more user groups can be selected. So do we send the report to (eg. all users in user group: PPO Administrators) or do we only send it to certain employees.
Please note: If you want to customize the content that each recipient sees based on their identity, you need to specify additional filtering using a “Current Employee” filter. For example, if you only want the recipients (which for argument’s sake are all project managers) to see the information for projects where they are the project manager, you need to set up a project filter with the criteria Manager = Current Employee.
- Body: Enter the text that should appear in the body of the e-mail when the report mailer is sent (eg. Dear Resource, Attached please find the weekly Issues Report from PPO. Regards the PPO Support Team);
The following needs to be kept in mind:
- If a report contains no data, an e-mail will not be sent,
- The report will be attached to the email as a PDF or an excel document;
- The report mailers are sent out at 1am (GMT/UTC);
- Filters will be applied as per the user‘s applicable user group; and
- The recipient must be a PPO user.
For more information please consult the PPO Technical Fact Sheet.